Friday, January 4, 2008

Adversity and God

Most of the persons with disability feel that adversity in life is not good. True, life with disability is not a bed of flowers. But then there is another view to life , adversity offers us the chance to grow.

This growth is generally in the inner growth domain, i.e. spiritual growth. Certain religious minded people feel that people with disability suffer because of their sins. I beg to differ.

In fact, I feel blessed or the chosen one. Just like what Matthew Henry said "Extra ordinary afflictions are not always the punishment for extraordinary sins, but sometimes the trials of extra ordinary graces.."

This is true in my case. I feel the adversity - in my case dystrophy, has helped me grow more. I can say that I am more alive today than before becoming disabled.

"If an obstacle is put in our path, it is only to prevent us from going the wrong way, and to guide us into what is for us the only right path.." Henry T. Hamblin

Had I not become disabled, I would have probably still be with all my vices and not happy. I feel god has chosen my for a mission and that adversity is a part of that plan. Even, Jesus had to undergo various adversities.
So whats the big deal. I see adversity as God's confidence in me, that I shall transcend them.

No comments: